What to Keep in Mind When Shopping for Illinois Auto Insurance Quotes
If you have just moved to the state of Illinois, there are things to know when you begin shopping for auto insurance quotes. Every state has their minimum amounts of liability insurance that you must have before you take to their states. Liability insurance protects the people that you may be involved in an accident with.
In Illinois, the minimum amounts of liability insurance that you must carry include:
- $25,000 to cover the bodily injuries or death of an individual that was in the other vehicle. It may cover any injuries to any of your passengers that are not part of your household.
- $50,000 to cover all of the people who were injured or died in the other vehicle and as above it may cover passengers of your car who do not live in your home.
- $20,000 per accident is what you must have in order to cover damages to another person’s vehicle as well as any other property, such as a telephone pole, fences, traffic signs, trees, or buildings.
- You have to carry uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage in the amount of $25,000 for each person and $50,000 for each accident. This will cover you if you are hit by a hit-and-run driver or someone who does not have insurance.
- You must also have underinsured motorist bodily injury in case the person who hits you does not have the required amount of liability insurance.
When you are shopping for Illinois auto insurance quotes from here you should make sure you choose a reliable company. Start by asking your friends who they have their insurance through. You can also get in touch with the Department of Insurance if you are not sure about a company and want to make sure the company is licensed. You can also check to see if a company you are interested in has had complaints against them. Make sure that your insurance agent is licensed as well.
Ask about any discounts that the company has. You may be surprised that you qualify for a couple that could bring the cost of your premium down. One thing that is easy to qualify for is a discount for paying your premium all at one time instead of paying it in monthly installments. If you are or were in the military you should check to see if there is a discount with that company.